We want to make this a forever smile...

We want to make this a forever smile...
We want to make this a forever smile...

Thursday, May 26, 2011

It's been a few days..

since I've posted, and believe me..it's not due to lack of time.  There is A LOT of down time in this process.  In fact, if we were not missing our daughters like crazy, worried about having enough money, constantly assuring our safety, oh..and visiting orphans everyday and trying to come up with ways to save them all...we would ALMOST think we were on an extended vacation.  No..I took a little break from blogging because I was sick for a few days..and then when I felt better physically, my mental state was such that there was so much going on in my head, I could not think of a decent way to summarize it all.  It almost felt like there was nothing to write, when truly...I could have written for days.

So I will ease myself back into it, with a fairly light (but probably lengthy:) blog...

First of all, my apologies to the chefs that I was cursing Sunday morning, while laying on the bathroom floor.  I was so sure I had food poisoning, but when the same exact thing happened again Tuesday morning..I realized that it was more likely my ulcer was flaring up, rather than food poisoning.  I really have no idea how it slipped my mind Sunday morning, but honestly the pain was so intense I could barely focus on Al..let alone remembering exisitng health conditions.  I am now 2 days free from pain, and my mom and dr arranged a scope for me right when I arrive back home..so I am doing my best to avoid stress (haha:) and eating nothing but water and the blandest of foods.  Unfortunately, there is nothing even remotely close to Pepto in Ukraine...so for now, I count on prayer that it just will not happen again until I get home.  Yes, I know.."what were you thinking Danielle, why not bring some along?"  There is no good answer for that:)

Our relationship with Violet is progressing wonderfully.  She is definitely a mama's girl...I think some time with Papa (when I leave for home after court) will be really great for those two to bond.  She clearly adores him, I just think that having a woman to look up at and love, when you've never had that, is something to cling to.  I know from being a daughter AND a mother..that the bond between a mother and daughter is something that cannot be explained in words..only through our eyes and our hearts.

We are absolutely shocked at how well she is doing with her reading, and learning english..yesterday we worked on the alphabet (which she basically already knew) and common words.  She surprised us with her fast paced learning, and boy is she eager...she knows how to spell, read, and say the following words..

V i o l e t D a s h a L i t t e l 
Mama Papa Grace Bella Maddy Kate 
Grandma Grandpa
Mom Dad  
school house car dog  
cat fish bed  
red blue green white pink yellow
orange black purple brown  
pants shorts shirt socks
shoes coat boots

She knows what each word means, or who it pertains to.  I even tried to trick her when we were going through the family names.  I thought she was just going by memorization, so when I got to Kate, I typed in Grandma instead..she looked at the word, and sounded it out.  I was so proud of her...she recognizes her sisters names not because she memorized the look of the word, but because she has been working hard to learn.  I am telling you, our daughter is bright and is going big places...so she will fit in well with her 4 sisters:)

We took her shopping the other day, because she has not changed clothes one time since we've been here.  We brought her to our room/the beach for the day and wanted her to have some "summer clothes"..and honestly, clothes that did not smell so awful.  We let her pick our her own outfit..made us cringe:)lol..but the style here IS different.  It is slightly more revealing than we would choose, but I was not ready to get into that discussion yet.  One of her friends at the orphanage just went google eyed over Violet's new shirt and shorts..we decided that when we leave to come home, we will give the outfit to Christina (her friend).  Violet has more clothes already, in her closet at home, than she will know what to do with..we think she will be excited to give the outfit to a friend.

When we took her back to the orphanage after being with us all day, they directed us back to the sea.  When we got to where they'd sent us...we saw all of the older kids at the orphanage "bathing" in the sea..by bathing, I mean the girls were down to their bra's and underwear and the boys to their underwear...they were in the water "washing" with no soap...the kids were all freezing, but this is how they get "clean."...and then get right back into their dirty clothes that they've been in for days.  Now do realize, as I say this, it is NOT to slam the orphanage..this is just the reality of what these places have to offer.  They don't have the funding to purchase soap, toothpaste, toilet paper, toothbrushes etc...these things are extras..luxuries for these orphans.  The day after seeing this, I was applying my Nivea lotion...and I just felt sick to my stomach.  How blessed I am to have something as simple as lotion...I wonder if these kids even know what lotion is??

Being at the orphanage more, we are able to make some observations.  I will start with the positive.  We've met some WONDERFUL teachers who truly seem to care about these kids..I would say 3-4 adults in particular really seem to love the kids, and want better for them.  On the opposite end...there are some teachers that Al and I would like to take on a little walk, you know..like a blindfolded walk out into the middle of the jungle..that kind of walk.  Between a few extreme bullies, and some of these teachers..I find myself talking Al's emotions down at least once per visit.  You might find this ridiculous, but I am SO proud of my husband's fierce desire to protect these kids!!  I love and appreciate the fact that he wants to shelter the weak..my 5 daughters have the most amazing dad:)

Our facilitator returns to our region today, and we are looking forward to having our translator back!  I must say, the job we've done fending for ourselves hasn't been too shabby..but sometimes it's exhausting!

We are missing home very much...it seems like we've been away from the girls for an eternity.  This morning, after we made some office visits and completed paperwork, we decided to shop for the girls, and our nieces & nephews.  It actually made us feel better..closer to them...to buy them things we know they will love.  It was really nice to look at items that personally reflected each daughter, because it made me feel like they were right there nestled in my heart..for instance, we had to get Bella the most hideous purple skirt..because that's her taste..purple and as frilly as can be:)  Gracie loves her writing..so we got her some beautiful diaries and pens, for Maddy it's Mickey Mouse, and Kate loves her hats!  It made us both really excited to purchase items for them, from the country that their big sis comes from:)

Not too much to report as far as court dates, or any projected dates for returning home yet...we are praying we hear something by tomorrow, but trying not to get too caught up in it..otherwise, it might very well drive us crazy. 

Oh, and something else worth noting..I am becoming a master at laundry without a washer and dryer..I do not like it..not a single bit..but I will kiss my washer and dryer when I get home.  If you think I am kidding, I invite you to my house on my first day back:)

Lastly..I thank God that Violet's orphanage happens to be where it is.  We know some other families were not so lucky with the regions they adopted from, as far as the location goes.  I feel very blessed that I get to look at The Black Sea everyday..I get to smell the salt water, and feel the breeze.  If I have to be away from MY life for such a long time, I cannot imagine doing it without such beautifulness surrounding me.  I have to give the sea a lot of credit for me still being somewhat sane:)


No comments:

Post a Comment