We want to make this a forever smile...

We want to make this a forever smile...
We want to make this a forever smile...

Saturday, May 21, 2011

what we see when we aren't looking

I am embarrassed to admit that 2 weeks ago I thought we would come to Ukraine, go through all of the legal formalities, collect our daughter and get the heck outta here. I thought I would be dying to get home, and that I would be miserable in this "terrible place." MAN, what a jerk I was 2 weeks ago..

Let me tell you a little bit about this "terrible place" that I figured would be such hell...
We are staying in a small room, owned by a Tar-Tar family who absolutely could not be sweeter or more accomodating. Our room and bathroom might be small, but they are very clean. They have a little girl (probably 9) who follows me everywhere...she picks all of the flowers around here to give to me:) She loves coming in the room with us..probably because I spoil her with cookies and candy!:) We are less than a minutes walk from The Black Sea, which could not be more breathtaking..I am certain that the tourquoise-blue color of the water could not be duplicated. The smell of the sea is perfect..

We do not have kitchen appliances (or any appliances for that matter) in our room..so other than the snack food we keep in here and can eat for breakfast (and sometimes lunch), we have to go out for meals. We found a nice little cafe by the beach, it's about 10 minutes from our room. We've gone there everyday, not because the food is so exceptional, but because I have fallen in love with the smile of the waitress who works there..she is there from open to close and works so very hard. I have no idea what she is saying to us, and she can't understand our words either (getting better now with our russian/english dictionary:) but this young woman is so warm and kind. They don't tip very well in Ukraine...Al and I are high end tippers even by USA standards..so you can imagine her elation here. We are on a strict budget in Ukraine, but Al and I both said we'd gladly skip a meal a day to be able to give her extra tip money..you would too if you saw the way her eyes sparkle when she counts the cash and we tell her to keep it. Believe me, you would too.

We are in a very small town..and the school here completely intrigues me. It is old and falling apart..it's on a tree covered dirt road..the lilac bushes and beautiful gate that separate it from the street are amazing..it is something out of a magazine..how can it be so old, in such poor shape, yet be beautiful at the same time??

There is garbage everywhere here...all kind of garbage, everywhere I turn. The smell is not plesant, nor is the sight of it..the houses are run down and in most cases, would be condemmed in the US. But let me tell you, the gates and the gardens in this place are truly second to none..I LOVE walking around and looking at them..the flowers and bushes are gorgeous..I mean just stunning...we are definitely in a poor part of the world..but God's beautiful nature exists everywhere..Ukraine is no exception.

The Ukrainian people as a whole aren't the friendliest..they don't really make eye contact, and smiling is not all that common...but everyday I wake up and vow to keep waving, to keep smiling at them. I find it to be quite overwhelming to look at someone here and realize that ultimately, we share the same Father. How is it possible to feel connected to someone who I do not know, and who truthfully probably doesn't care to know me?? I have no idea, but I know it's a powerful feeling.

Don't get me wrong..Ukraine is not in great shape. There is prostitution (adult and child) everywhere...we have seen many many homeless people...the roads, houses, and buildings are in bad shape..but when I look past that, I see the beauty in nature that God created..it becomes really easy to focus on that instead of the poor conditions..

I would be lying if I said I'm not dying to get home..but ONLY because I desperately long to have my family pieced back together...NOT because I despise Ukraine.

I've learned SO much in the short week that we've been here. I still feel (and always will) blessed to be an American. I believe we are lucky to live where we do..we are fortunate and we are free. But we are NOT better...I love my children just the same as a poor single mother here does..my heart beats just the same way as hers, and I desire to nurture my babies just like her...we just really are not that different.

I am so thankful to my God for the life He has provided me..I am thankful for this path He sent me on..

No comments:

Post a Comment